The Protocol Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs acts as the State Protocol for the Republic of Cyprus, and as such has a wide range of duties and responsibilities, including the following:
― Oversees the application of diplomatic privileges and immunities, as well as of fiscal privileges. afforded to foreign Diplomatic and Consular Missions, International Organisations and their representations in Cyprus, as well as to their staff, on the basis of obligations emanating from international conventions, multilateral and bilateral agreements, international practice and national law.
― Handles the granting of agrément to proposed Heads of Missions and arranges for the accreditation/registration of members of staff of foreign Diplomatic and Consular Missions and of International Organisation representations in Cyprus.
― Organises accreditation and farewell visits by Ambassadors extraordinary and plenipotentiary, including ceremonies for presentation of Credentials, in cooperation with the Mission concerned.
― Renders assistance to foreign Missions in obtaining flight diplomatic clearances for overflight of State and military aircraft, passage of naval vessels, and in obtaining licenses for radio and firearms licences.
― Plans and organises official and working visits made by foreign Heads of State/Government and by Ministers of Foreign Affairs to the Republic of Cyprus, and assists as necessary with private visits and the visits of other foreign officials.
― Is responsible for the application of diplomatic protocol and oversees the ceremonial part of activities involving the President and the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Cyprus and foreign Heads of States and Governments and diplomatic representatives accredited to Cyprus.
― Advises on affairs relating to State Protocol and on issues pertaining to the observance of the order of precedence between foreign Heads of Missions to Cyprus.
[This information for this section of the website is currently under review]
Foreign Diplomatic Missions to the Republic of Cyprus, Honorary Consuls (consular posts) of foreign countries, as well as representations of International Organisations to Cyprus, can be found in the Diplomatic List, which is published in digital form and is updated on a quarterly basis by the Protocol Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The latest edition of the Cyprus Diplomatic List is available in .pdf form from the link below:
Cyprus Diplomatic List [July 2021]
The internal Order of Precedence ('Protocol') of the Republic of Cyprus, as defined in the relevant Table appended to Law 59(I)/1996 (which replaced any other Protocol that was in force or was followed previously), is set out below:
1. The President of the Republic *
2. The Archbishop of Cyprus
3. The President of the House of Representatives
4. Leaders or Representatives of Political Parties in Parliament
5. Former Presidents of the Republic
6. The Attorney General of the Republic
7. The President of the Supreme Court
8. The Members of the Council of Ministers **
9. Spokesmen of the Political Parties in Parliament
10. Former Presidents of the House of Representatives
11. Members of the House of Representatives **
12. Leaders or Representatives of non-Parliamentary Political Parties ***
13. Members of the Supreme Court **
14. The Government Spokesman
15. The Deputy Minister to the President of the Republic
16. The President of the Union of Cyprus Municipalities
17. Mayors **
18. The Commander of the National Guard
19. The Chief of Police
20. The Deputy Attorney General
21. Former Ministers and Former Members of the House of Representatives
22. The Governor of the Central Bank
23. Counsellors to the President of the Republic
24. Heads or Representatives of other Religious Groups
25. The Chairman and Members of the Public Service Commission **
26. The Chairman and Members of the Education Service Commission **
27. The Auditor-General
28. The Commissioner of Administration (Ombudsman)
29. The Permanent Secretaries of the House of Representatives, Ministries and Planning Bureau
30. The Secretary of the Council of Ministers
31. The Accountant-General
32. Chairmen of Semi-Governmental Organizations
33. Directors-General of Semi-Governmental Organizations
34. Prefects of Administrative Districts of the Republic of Cyprus
35. Municipal Counsellors **
* The order of precedence of official guests of the President of the Republic is decided on the basis of the applicable internal Protocol.
** The classification amongst Ministers, Members of Parliament, Judges of the Supreme Court, Members of the Public Service and Education Service Commissions, the Mayors and the Municipal Counsellors is decided by their respective Bodies themselves.
*** Applies when the Leader of the non-Parliamentary party is not present.